Home Extension Toolkit
Our Build in Common Home Extension Toolkit is designed to take the uncertainty out of your project and empower you to understand and take control of your more ambitious home extension. Perhaps you are extending up or out, reconfiguring the floorplan and upgrading the kitchen and/or bathroom?
This is the Toolkit for you – including kitchen and bathroom upgrades, as well as generic home extension plans, this comprehensive step by step guide will give you all the knowledge, advice and preparation tools that you will need to know for your home extension and how to avoid costly mistakes and errors.
Extensions can be expensive so be equipped to tackle your project with confidence and control.
- 110+ pages
- Home Extension project brief and design template
- Navigating the build sequence for your residential build project
- Design process guide
- Design checklists and planning templates
- Extension budget planner
- Assessing and evaluating quotes
- Negotiating contracts
- Handover checklist
- Expert advice, tips and professional guidance in understanding the building world
- Interpreting “builder talk” and their drawings
- Visual examples, diagrams and plans
- How to choose and manage your builders
- External resources
We get it. We’ve been where you are right now.
Sometimes the cons of moving properties outweigh the pros and instead, you have to consider extending your home as a more practical, long term option. The thought of more space, with greater functionality and a bespoke design, should be an EXCITING and FUN process!
In the building world, the professionals have studied/worked for 3-5 years to qualify, yet clients are expected to manage their projects with minimal or no experience in the construction industry. Afraid of looking ignorant or being taken advantage of, many therefore view this is a daunting and intimidating process.
Too often we’ve heard someone say “I’d love to build, but I just don’t know where to start”, which is why at Build In Common we want to deconstruct the construction process for anybody- regardless of gender, background, age or experience!
Our Toolkit guides you through the important hard-hitting questions:
Who? What? When? Where? Why? and How?
This resource is in a comprehensive Q&A format tailored specifically to suit you and your needs and wants, not the industry’s; something that has never done before!
No need for lengthy courses, painful studying or confusing builder opinions, because we have done the hard work for you! We have taken what many experience as endless hours of frustration and aggravation, and used our professional experience working in the building/renovating industry to create this easy, step-by-step guide to make you feel confident, informed and ultimately the BOSS.
How to use the Home Extension Toolkit:
- Open up and follow the guide. We’ve created the chapters in the toolkits in the sequence that the industry works. So by following the steps you’ll have paid attention to when and what is important in the building process, which means you’ll avoid mistakes that can be costly. Plus you’ll know what to expect so you’ll be well prepared and avoid the “hidden things”. No use being at the finish line if the track hasn’t been designed right or built yet. Like the saying goes “Planning to fail is failing to plan”
- Take your time to digest the information. If need be re-read as many times as you want. There is a lot of information in the building world that you will come across, so do it at your pace!
- We’ve specifically written the toolkits with the ‘special ingredients’ which is a comprehensive Q&A format. We give you all the RIGHT questions to ask yourself and the building professionals before, during and after, so write notes as you go along. Your answers are vital to making sure you get your vision right, you get the best out of the experts, get the service you deserve and get the project you dream of.
- Take the toolkit with you when on-site or meeting building professionals. It will keep you on track, keeps you focused and keeps the building experts accountable. As someone described his toolkit – “the bible”
- Your toolkits are large folders, so use them as your Project Manager tool. Keep all your drawings, invoices, quotes and information in the toolkit so you always have your project information at your fingertips.
Linda, Builder, WA
“If you want to renovate or develop property and you are a newbie, these Build in Common Toolkits will help you to be a more informed and confident Project Manager. I would be very happy to work with clients using the Build in Common Toolkits; there are definitive benefits for all parties. What a great product!”