Safety always comes first when we talk renovating or building, right? But have you ever felt underwhelmed by the limited choices when it comes to work boots or safety wear specifically designed for women? Well, you are probably not alone! The options aren’t great; at least, they weren’t until Stacey Head entered the game.
In 2013 Stacey founded She Wear – an Australian first concept to fill a market need for women working in specialised fields and trades who need compliant good quality safety footwear.
Stacey’s concept was genius in its simplicity:
- She Wear is the only female-founded, female-led and female-owned company in Australia manufacturing safety footwear.
- She Wear is the only Aussie company designing, manufacturing and retailing safety footwear JUST for women. When they say their footwear is “designed by women” … they really mean it!
- Stacey Head launched She Wear because she could not source a decent pair of work boots to fit her correctly or comfortably back in 2012 when she was property developing (so she really does get what’s important).
- She Wear is the first Australian company to introduce multiple coloured work boot options to the market specifically designed for women. Their boots were launched and worn by the female contestants on “The Block” in 2014.
- She Wear footwear is designed “from the ground up” for women. This means they do not use a man’s design or range and “girl it up” like most of the other companies do. You can now choose from over 30 footwear options for women.
- Stacey believes you can combine comfort, quality, durability, good fit AND style in footwear. And who says work boots should be boring? Leopard prints anyone?
- Due to customer requests, She Wear has recently expanded to now retail a full range of workwear and PPE for women. They do not stock men’s fit or unisex, because you know what, unisex clothing or footwear does not exist, it’s just a man’s size!
Visit www.shewear.com.au to see the range of women’s workboots,
gumboots and fashion boots, as well as workwear and PPE.
Are men and women’s feet anatomically different?
The short answer is yes and it’s not just a question of size!
Unisex shoes do not exist! They are either designed for men or designed for women, and there are good reasons for this.
It may be stating the obvious, but research shows that there are significant differences between men and women in terms of foot and leg dimensions.
Men have longer and broader feet than women and differ significantly when it comes to calf, ankle, and foot shape variables. This means that female feet and legs are not simply scaled-down versions of male feet but rather differ in a number of shape characteristics, particularly at the arch, the lateral side of the foot, the first toe, and the ball of the foot.*
When it comes to safety boots this means wearing the nearest size men’s boots will not make for comfort, nor best safety fit. You may experience discomfort or find your foot prone to sliding in the shoe.
She Wear has set out to solve this problem by designing a range of footwear to suit a woman’s foot length and width, and based on “manufactured to last” principles.
Bulk in the ankle area and on top of the foot has been removed to suit a woman’s more slender ankle and the inner sole has good firm support to specifically suit the shape of a woman’s arch.
Like Build in Common, She Wear is a Femeconomy approved business. The criteria to receive Femeconomy’s badge of approval is to have at least 30% women on the Board of Directors, or 50% female ownership.
Both She Wear and Build in Common are 100% female-founded, led and owned.
*Note: Research by Wunderlich RE & Cavanagh PR. Text source www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11283437.